Heidi Parker of Palmyra, Virginia was napping after receiving an allergy shot. She had also received a higher than usual dose of antihistamine. After about an hour, Heidi's 3-year-old English Bulldog mix Chilly became alarmed and tried to wake her owner. Finally Chilly succeeded and when Heidi awoke, she discovered that her throat was so swollen, that she could barely breathe.
It was discovered that Heidi was having a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction to her allergy injection. If Chilly had not awakened her, her throat could have closed completely, causing her to suffocate while she slept. Because of Chilly's actions, Heidi was able to call 911 and received treatment in time.