Khan was an abused and neglected Doberman Pinscher. Luckily he was adopted by a loving Cairns, Australia family. Only one week later, little 17-month-old Charlotte was playing in her mother's garden when Khan realized that something was wrong. Spotting a deadly King Brown snake, Khan tried to alert the little girl, but she did not move. Suddenly, just before the snake was going to strike, the Doberman grabbed Charlotte by the back of her clothing and threw her several feet to safety.
"If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it," explained Charlotte's mother. "Khan was really concentrating and was acting aggressively towards Charlotte and kept trying to nudge her, but it wasn't working, so he grabbed her by her (clothes) and threw her."
Just as Khan tossed Charlotte to safety, the deadly snake bit him on his foot. Khan ran into the house and collapsed. "Charlotte looked pretty shocked and Khan screamed, like he'd been stabbed," said Mrs. Svillicic. The dog was rushed to the vet where he was given a shot of anti-venom and survived.
A King Brown snake is known to be the third most venomous snake in the world. A snake expert from Atherton, CA believes that Khan escaped death because the snake was not able to fully strike the dog and inject a large amount of venom.
"He saved her life by risking his own," expressed Charlotte's mother. "From now on, he's Khan the Wonder Dog."